Financial Modeller - Manager
About the team
The PwC Risk Modelling Services practice has offices in London, Edinburgh, Manchester, Bristol and Mumbai. Our consultants focus on insurance, investment, banking and corporate clients, led by a fifteen strong partner team. We are continuing our expansion of diversifying into other skillsets, including Financial Modellers.
Within the analytics team, we work across a range of different sectors with recent projects focussing on the Retail, Manufacturing and Oil & Gas sectors. Many of the projects give you the opportunity to work in multidisciplinary teams or with people from our network firms overseas.
We would expect you to take an active role in supporting the strategic management and running of the practice. This could include being involved in the development of one of our key areas of focus. We encourage the team to think laterally about how your skillset can be applied to new and emerging areas of focus. You will also be involved in the development of more junior staff through on the job coaching, acting as a people manager or mentor.
Who we're looking for
We are looking for individuals with relevant experience, or who are looking for new challenges and believe that they can leverage their existing skills in a new environment, who are able to work well as part of a team and who are responsible, decisive, clear-thinking and self-motivated.
In recognition of the need to invest in future growth of the practice, you'll not only have demonstrated relevant technical skills and experience, but also have the potential, with some development support, to move on to lead on key client accounts and product areas, using your strong relationship and people management skills.
About the role
We are strengthening our financial modelling capabilities within PwC’s UK Risk Modelling Services practice and are looking for ambitious Principal Consultants with strong financial modelling skills and an accountancy background to join us on the journey and be part of a team focussed on deploying modelling skills for our corporate clients.
We are significantly investing in our UK Risk Modelling Services practice to help our corporate clients to make better business decisions through the use of data mining, modelling and analytical tools. Successful individuals will have a strong technical background and experience of successfully delivering significant financial forecasting and modelling related projects across a range of industries.
We have ambitious plans and are looking for individuals who can develop and build our go-to-market propositions and excel in client delivery. The team advises leading FTSE 100 & 350 clients on a wide range of issues. Recent examples include:
• Delivering integrated profit & loss, balance sheet and cashflow models for key corporate clients within the retail sector. These strategic models have been built for management to make strategic decisions around store portfolio rationalisation.
• Working lender-side to deliver Entity Priority Models for clients within the Oil & Gas sector which illustrate the impact of restructuring initiatives.
• Developing stochastic models to assess the impact of commodity price volatility within the Aviation sector.
• Performing model validation and logic reviews of existing models across a range of industries.
We develop these solutions using analytical and modelling skills and therefore a strong technical background is essential. We engage with stakeholders from a diverse background and as such, the ability to clearly articulate the results of our analysis is a key requirement. On a day-to-day basis, you will manage and deliver a wide range of concurrent analytical assignments, interacting with clients often as the main point of day-today contact on assignments.
In recognition of the need to invest in future growth of the practice, we are looking for individuals who not only have demonstrated relevant technical skills and experience, but who also have the potential with development support to lead on key client accounts and product areas, using strong relationship and people management skills.
A successful individual will work with the Corporates leadership team to continue to develop our modelling propositions and help develop PwC’s modelling capabilities. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate they understand and stay abreast of industry developments and are able to translate these to practical propositions that add value to PwC’s client base.
Essential skills and experience
• Advanced MS Excel, VBA skills
• Significant experience of designing and deploy integrated cashflow, balance sheet and profit & loss models across a range of sectors.
• Experience of modelling the impact of restructuring and/or cost reduction programmes.
• Experience of designing and deploy stochastic models across a range of sectors desired.
• Data analytics and visualisation products such as Tableau, Qlikview, preferred.
• Data quality and data cleansing techniques
• Strong oral, listening and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated an aptitude to develop good client/internal client handling skills, including relationship-building skills that lead to increased consulting opportunities.
• Strong project and financial management skills. The ability to deliver to budget and within timescales is an important skill.
• Be flexible and have the ability to multi-task effectively.
• Be strongly committed to both personal and corporate success.
• Be self-motivated, in particular taking responsibility for personal development in technical and broader consulting skills
• Strong potential to develop strong people management, client handling and development skills, including inter-personal sensitivity and influencing skills.
• Have spent most of your career to date delivering financial models, either within a consultancy or within industry.
• Have experience of developing and deploying analytical solutions.
• Have led multidisciplinary projects, responsible for project management and delivery, including the management of staff, delegation of responsibilities and delivering projects to time and budget.
• Have experience of being responsible for the development and growth of junior staff, including objective setting and performance management.
• Qualified Accountant with post qualification experience.
• Bachelor’s degree or above
• Demonstrable work experience in a Financial Modelling discipline
• A technical background in Mathematics, Computer Science, Data Analytics or similar
• Ability to gain a UK Government Security Clearance